Wednesday, March 23, 2011



Listen to the sounds of the great 18th Century mezzo-soprano Faustina Bordoni on this wonderful recording. You will hear songs by great opera composers such as George Frederic Handel and Johann Adolph Hasse.

"Faustina Bordoni: Faces of a Prima Donna." Opera Today. Web. 1 Mar 2011.






This is a magnificent portrait of the one and only Faustina Bordoni, aka, me. I was also known as the “New Siren.” I was one of the most famous opera singers of the 18th century.
"Portrait of Faustina Bordoni Hasse." Foroxerbar. Web. 1 Mar 2011.
<www.foroxerbar.com/viewtopic.php?t=6739>.




This is a portrait of Johann Adolf Hasse. Hasse was a famous opera composer and was also my husband. We were a very talented couple.


"Johann Adolph Hasse: Antonio e Cleopatra." Opera Today. Web. 1 Mar 2011.

<www.operatoday.com/.../12/johann_adolph_h.php>.





This is a picture of George Frederic Handel who was a famous baroque opera composer and was considered one of the best musicians of his time. I worked as part of Handel’s “dream team” at the Royal Academy of Music in London and starred in many of his operas.

"Georg Friedrich Händel." Georg Frideric Handel - Georg Friedrich Händel
(Composer). Web. 15 Mar 2011. <www.bach-cantatas.com/Lib/Handel.htm>.




I played the role of Emira in Handel’s opera, Siroe. This is the sheet music for
one of the songs from the opera.

"Handel: 45 Arias From Operas And Oratorios Volume 1 (Low Voice)." Free-
Scores.com. Web. 23 Mar 2011. <di-arezzo.co.uk.

George Fredric Handel sheet music Ch'io mai vi possa (Siroe).








George T. Ferris was a famous author who wrote about the great opera singers of his time. Ferris’s book, published in 1891 included a detailed chapter about the singing career of me.

"Great Singers: Faustina Bordoni to Henrietta Sontag." Appolicious. Andrews UK
Limited, November 01, 2010. Web. 15 Mar 2011.
<www.appolicious.com/music/apps/416546-great-s...>.





I was considered very beautiful during her time. I had many loyal fans throughout Europe and was considered one of the most popular singers of her time.
"Faustina Bordoni." www.foroxerbar.com/viewtopic.php?t=6739. Web. 15 Mar 2011.
<www.www.foroxerbar.com/viewtopic.php?t=6739.com/viewtopic.php?t=6739>.






Venice, Italy was a very beautiful city where I was raised. Also I starred in many operas in Venice, Italy. Venice was one of the main European cities that supported art, music, and literature.

"Venice Italy." MERCHANT OF VENICE . Web. 15 Mar 2011.
<www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=24132959>.



Francesca Cuzzoni was my arch rival. We were both part of Handel’s Royal Academy of Music in London. The competition between us was so intense that Cuzzoni and I even got into a fight with each other on stage during a performance!


  "Whine, women and song: the bitter rivalry of Handel's divas ." The Independent.
Web. 15 Mar 2011. <www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/musi...>.


Johann Adolf Hasse, my husband and musical partner, worked as the Kapellmeister of the Mistro de Compella in Dresden of the Saxton Court. Dresden, Germany is a very pretty place where Hasse and I worked and lived for more than twenty years. 
  "Dresden, Germany." Webtourist.net. Web. 15 Mar 2011.
<www.webtourist.net/.../tourist-information.phtml>.



8 comments:

  1. Fastina you are so beautiful! I am sure that being such beautiful and talented opera singer made you very successful in your era, no? tell me about Francesca, was she terrible? i am sure that the fight was just awful, was it not? what was it about or was it mearly a fight that has been bilding up through out the ages?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Francesca! She's not even worthy enough to talk about. She's much less prettier than me and much less talented! The fight was just building up from the day we met each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah my darling Fastina! Oh how I miss you. I must say the years are treating you well. Also that picture of me... its very nice! hows your singing going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guten tag Frau Bordini! You have a beautiful voice. I have always wanted to visit Venice but i was stuck as Kappelmeister to the Esterhazy family for much of my career. Well Auf Wiedersehen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of those places are just amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The HASSE and BORDONI family is part of my mother's side with her being the 9th Generation and the above the 4th Generation.
    I am always thrilled to find new posting on these two famous people
    and there is more yet as it has only scratched the surface so to speak.

    ReplyDelete